10. Craziness. Conversations on Twitter somehow lead to pictures of this:
|James, Chad, Jeigh, Tyler x 2, and Shelly|
Shelly was my first follower on this blog, and I've always appreciated her support. It helps when we are both so fluent in Sarcasm.
8. Hero! The first time I met Shelly, she looked like this:
She shaved off all her hair to benefit her cousin, Tyson, who has leukemia. Seriously, I could just stop here at number 8 and you'd understand why I hero-worship these two, but there is more!
7. Honesty! When I need honest feedback, I know I can always go to Shelly. She doesn't sugar-coat it.
6. Family! I met Chad about a year after meeting Shelly, as he started writing and releasing his books. Have you ever met that one couple that seemed like they were meant for each other? Like, Westley and Buttercup would look at it and say, "Wow, maybe we aren't so awesome together after all." Well, this is how I feel when I see Chad and Shelly. Not just their marriage, but their family.
While visiting their home, I got to meet their kids. Talk about an amazing family! True story: some cards came out and we started trying to out-wit each other with card tricks and the like. I can't remember the final score, but it resembled the score from the last Superbowl (43 - 8). No matter what I tried, I could not figure out a way to outsmart them. Not just that, all five of their kids are just awesome, smart, and super-creative geniuses that were a pleasure to be around.
There is also this special spirit whenever I'm around their family. One time they were singing while I was in the other room, and I thought I was going to walk in and see the Van Trapp family singing.
Such an amazing family!
5. Chad! Meeting Chad made me feel like I found a brother my parents had secretly put up for adoption or something. It's impossible to get within a 50-foot radius of Chad without feeling better about life. He just has that... aura. Seriously, meet the guy, you'll instantly know what I mean.
4. Humor! If you can last five minutes around this family without laughing, I'd be convinced you're a robot. These guys are hilarious! If you've seen them do scripted stand-up, you'll see the hilarity right away, but even unscripted, it is one hilarious line after another. Chad and Shelly SLAY me.
Check out this video for Chad's latest book, The Avatar Battle. Yes, he is this funny all of the time!
3. Writers! We met through the writing community (side note: I doubt any writing community outside of Salt Lake has any kind of bonding like our local writers), and both of them are awesome writers. I've read one of Shelly's books, and I can't wait until she releases something so the world can enjoy it. Chad has released two books, both in the Cragbridge Hall series.
For now, I haven't had a chance to read The Avatar Battle, but I was BLOWN AWAY by The Inventor's Secret. I didn't know what to expect, but I must admit that I haven't been excited for middle grade lately and I wasn't ubber excited to pick it up. However, Gragbridge Hall? It's got me excited again. Seriously, everybody should own 9 or 10 copies of it.
And you've got to check out this book video! Why hasn't this book been turned into a movie yet?
The literary world is blessed that these two authors contributing books. I bet future releases are only going to get better.
2. Mustaches for Maddie! When The Inventor's Secret came out, Chad and Shelly's daughter, Maddie, was rushed to the hospital for an emergency operation. This prevented Chad from going on tour for his newly released book. Knowing Chad, I'm sure he didn't even have to weigh whether or not he should go or not, he stayed with Maddie until she made her recovery.
Once wind got out of this operation, people started sending in tons (hundreds? I'm guessing thousands?) of pictures of people in mustaches. Maddie always got cheered up looking at mustaches, and everybody who knew the Morris' delivered. Google it, I really hope somebody compiled all of them together, it would make a great keepsake for Maddie and an entertaining lookthrough for everybody else!
Here's their friend, Tyler Whitesides, getting in on the action:
1. Caring! The reason Chad and Shelly are so easy to love is because they exemplify charity in all that they do. They are truly one of the most caring people you will ever meet, who would give the shirt off their backs to help somebody in need. If the world were filled with Chads and Shellys, life would be a hundred times better to live.
To learn more about these two amazing folks, check out their blog at http://writingwithshellyandchad.blogspot.com/. Chad is going on tour because of The Avatar Battles, so check out his schedule and see if he'll be in your neighborhood. You won't want to miss him!